In pairs put down as many words and expressions that come into your
mind in connection with the celebration of Christmas!
Did it? How many have you got? Now let's check some!
Go to this Xmas page and do the exercise!
We are absolutely sure that you know LOTS of things about the ways of celebrating Christmas in the English-speaking countries. For a change, let's take a trip around the world, visit some exotic places and discover a few less well-known practices of merry-making at this special holiday.
Go to the next Xmas
page . There are many things to read about, aren't there? Working in
groups of four why don't you start with THESE?!
(Please, each member of the group select one of the following pairs and do the exercises respectively!)
- Match the words with the definitions
|spangle||a. words or action intended to win advantage over sb|
|ploy||b. long open box from which animals are fed|
|lanterns||c. without approval or permission|
|manger||d. tiny pieces of shining metal or plastic|
|unsanctioned||e. light for use outdoors at parties|
- What is meant by commercialism?
- What is the "Chinese phenomenon"?
- Find the meaning of Dun Che Lao Ren in another site of this Xmas page
- Find synonyms for custom! (3)
- True or False? If false, correct the statement
- Tell it in other words! "After attending church"
- What are the special customs in Venezuela that you find interesting?
- Match the words with their meanings!
|resume||a. betraying sb secretly|
|treachery||b. long-lasting, constant|
|service-cum-feast||c. start again|
|permanent||d. take in|
|adopt||e. mass and eating|
- What is "peace treaty"?
- What is the idea of "peace child" and how is it connected to Christmas?
- "scores of banana trees" are
- give a definition for replant
- "arch" here means (please draw one!)
-True or false?
- Match the words and the meanings!
|galore||c. central point of an activity|
|glittering||d. place in high position|
|vicinity||e. in plenty|
- True or false?
- List three things that characterise Christmas in Singapore!
- Find the words/expressions from the text that fit in the following sentences best. Use the correct form of the missing word.
- When exactly does Christmas take place in the capital of Ethiopia? ( month, hour)
- What is the traditional belief behind the game called: " Ko-lee"?
- Choose the correct answer!
- Please summarise in a sentence the meaning of "love-offering".
- What are the characteristics of the dramatic performance about the birth of Jesus?
- Match the words with the definitions:
|fellowship||a. religious music sung during church services|
|candy||b. friendly association with others|
|minister||c. large crowd of people in someone's care|
|porridge||d. sugar hardened by repeated boiling|
|commeal||e. meal made of various grains|
|flock||f. soft food made by boiling a cereal|
|gospel||g. boys looking after a large number of animals|
|herd boys||h. Christian clergyman esp. in Protestant churches|
- What is the name of Christmas in Zimbabwe and when is it celebrated?
- What does the traditional Christmas meal consist of?
Are you interested in what the others found out?
In you groups share your findings, and discuss the most interesting traditions and customs.
Go back to the Christmas
site that lists all the countries and read about other places you are
Collect information and write a composition (350 words) about one of the following topics:
Merry Christmas from Réka and Judit!!!
Go back to the CALLpage